October 9, 2011
So for this Thanksgiving I thought about making that famous Cakeboss crumb cake that everyone has seen on one of their episodes (remember the one where that lady drove all the way from who know where to get an order of crumb cake that was to die for?).
Well, I searched for the recipe and could not find it. Then I ran into a book called "America's test kitchen" and their was a New York Style crumb cake that I sure was going to be a hit. Then life took over and I lost the recipe. Soooo.... after many crumb cake recipes and test tries I finally nailed down my own recipe for crumb cake. It's light, buttery, sweet, and got that bit of caramelized butter and brown sugar flavour. Dense enough to cut and pick up, but lightly crumbs in your mouth after a bite. Distinctively 2 layered, you can serve as is but I added some brown sugar glaze drizzle on top and powdered sugar for flair! Enjoy all you cake lovers out there!
The Createry Shop's Best Crumb Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup of butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 2 cups of cake flour
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 3/4 cups of butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
1) Beat sugar and room temperature butter together until smooth.
2) Add eggs, milk, vanilla.
3) Slowly add in cake flour and mix well.
4) Line a 9x13 inch size pan with parchment paper or grease pan (I like parchment paper but to each their own)
5) Pour batter into a pan (I use a 9x13 pan), set aside.
6) In a bowl, use a cheese grater and grate the chilled butter into this bowl.
7) Add cake flour and lightly toss mixture around, careful not to overmix.
8) Add white and brown sugar and lightly mix.
9) sprinkle this on top of the cake batter.
10) Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes.
11) Cool and top as desired!