The Createry Shop's Easy Apple Pie Recipe - TESTED and TRUE
(makes one 9" pie)
Ingredients - Double Pie Crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 stick of vegetable shortening, cold
- 2 to 4 tbsp of cold water
- 1 egg beaten to be used as egg wash
Ingredients - Pie Filling
- 4 medium apples - cored, peeled, and sliced evenly (this is probably the most time consuming task in my opinion!)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (3/4 of brown sugar if apples are more tart than sweet)
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
Directions to make double pie crust shell
1) Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
2) Add cubes of shortening to bowl and start mixing to create dough. Add tbsp of cold water for consistency to make dough stick together and not become crumbly.
3) Roll out dough and lay on 9" pie shell. Cut dough to fit shell. Do this twice to get 2 crusts (1 for bottom, 1 for top).
Directions to make pie
4) Mix all of the pie filling ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside and let sit for 30 minutes to let apple juices flow out of apple slices. This helps in preventing your pie from becoming a pool of liquid mess!
5) Scoop filling into pie shell, making sure to drain as much juice out and lay the apple slices evenly throughout pie shell. This helps the pie keep its structure when cutting into it.
6) Using a cookie cutter, cut a hole in the middle of the 2nd top pie crust shell for ventilation. Place 2nd pie shell over pie as the top shell and seal edges together by pressing edges down with a fork.
7) Brush egg wash all over top shell.
8) Put pie on a baking sheet, back at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
9) Remove pie from oven, let cool. Impress people with your yummy homemade apple pie!