Recently, I've really been trying hard to live a dairy-free life (just to see if I felt a difference or not from my previous dairy-full life of greek yogurt, skim milk, cheese, and more greek yogurt). Well, it's been hard - the hardest probably taking coffee straight up with nothing else in it, and also trying to just find things to eat on a daily basis that contain no dairy at all.
So to all my lactose intolerant and dairy-free friends in the world, I'm with you in the search and BTW here's my recipe for devilishly delicious zucchini chocolate chip muffins that are dairy-free with no added sugar or oil. It's moist and oh so satisfying with that added chocolate touch (you will have to find vegan dark chocolate chips for this recipe). Enjoy!
Dairy-Free Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins (No Dairy, No Added Sugar, No Oil too!)
- 1 cup of zucchini – shredded and drained
- 1 ½ cups of whole wheat flour (I like using 100% whole grain whole wheat flour)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 medium sized bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 5 tbsp of unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup of vegan dark chocolate chips (You can try "Enjoy Life" Mini Chips)
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line your muffin tray with paper liners or lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Put aside.
- In a blender, mash or puree the bananas. Next, add vanilla, egg whites, and apple sauce and blend well in blender.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with your dry ingredients. Fold the mixture together gently (careful not to over-mix)
- Add your shredded zucchini and chocolate chips into the mixture, again careful not to over-mix.
- Scoop mixture into your muffin tray cavities evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. You know it’s done when you can poke it with a skewer and the skewer comes out clean.